Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Implanon


I had this Implanon contraceptive last year in July. It is a small piece of plastic (rod) to be inserted under the skin of my upper arm. This is a long acting reversible hormonal contraceptive. It lasts about 3 years. I'm not sure how it exactly works but I just know it is 99% safe from getting pregnant. Sounds good? But the side effects are horrible!

Just irregular menses alone can kill me. I had really irregular menses. Sometimes it just doesn't stop. And this continued for 6months. YES, 6 freaking months! Imagine I had to wear pad everyday... Walao! So miserable. And there are also other side effects like headaches, acne, weight gain and abdominal pain, which is the most commonly reported one. I think I kena all except for weight gain. Lol heng ah~!



I had another kind of medicine prescribed by doctors in KKH. It's a hormone pill. To stop my irregular menses. For the past 1 year it works well. However, these few days even after I took the pills, I still had spotting. And also bad cramps. Sigh! So I have decided to remove the Implanon.

FYI, it looks like this..







Heard from Sandy there's another type of contraceptive, Mirena. She said her doctor recommended this to her. And said there would be no menses after inserting this device into the uterus. Omg sounds good right?! I tried googling about it. It can last for 5years! If you are interested in birth control, you may try looking into this. This is the info from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUD_with_progestogen




If you ask me, I won't recommend Implanon. However, everyone has different body system. If you are interested you can check with your doctor ;)


No comments: